Thursday, November 6, 2008

What's in a name?

I'm thinking about changing my name.

I think names are very important. I think they create a part of who we are - they are the language with which we identify ourselves and each other. I think last names say where you came from, how you're linked to your past. Some people might not fee this way about their name, but I do. I've always said I'm not going to change my name when I marry. This is, in part, because I plan to already have an established career when I get married, which would make changing my name a nuisance. But it's also because I feel like changing my name would say that I'm changing myself. I'm not just going to be Mrs. SuchandSuch. I was Heather Montgomery for the first 25-odd years of my life, why should I be someone different after?

That's how I feel about names, in general.

My mom never changed her last name, something I've always respected. My mom is still a Francis. But the other day it struck me that while I fee very connected to my mom's parents and to the Francis side of my family, I'm not a Francis.

So, I'm thinking of changing my name to Heather Catherine Francis Montgomery. Not hypenated. My name, in any relevant way, would still be Heather Montgomery. But my full name would include my mom's family name.

I don't know how to make a decision like this. Is it just silly? Should I actually legally change my name or is that too much hassle?

1 comment:

Fae said...

I think that's an awesome name. You should do it, if it doesn't turn out to be too much of a hassle. If it does, it makes a great pen name for future reference. :)