Monday, April 27, 2009

Top Ten Reasons to Love a Geeky Girl

So, this is a list that I sent to Seb to help with his newest post. Almost all of my friends are geek girls, and I think it's time that people realize we're awesome - the ones who speak Elvish (Fae), those who speak binary (Kaitlyn), the gamers (there are too many I can't name you all!) and the role players (me, of course). With movies like Superbad and Sydney White, there's a sudden increase in the love of nerdy guys. But there are so many geek chicks out there too, and we need our recognition!

1. Smart is sexy. There’s a reason Sexy Librarian is one of the top Halloween costumes every year. Because there’s something mysteriously sexy about what lies behind those thick rimmed glasses and beneath that cardigan. Smart girls are sexy because they’re not expected to be sexy. They’re a nice surprise – a reason to look up from your studying, even to pay your library fines.

2. She can probably beat your high score/redesign your blog/do your math homework/has a better comic book collection than you. A real man loves a challenge. And what’s more challenging than a woman who not only shares your interests, but even beats you at them? You have a lot to learn from a geeky girl. She can beat you at Star Wars trivia, you two can spend the afternoon in her favourite multiplayer or she can entertain you with fun historical facts. And just think – together you can probably fix anything. Or take over the world.

3. You speak the same language. You don’t have to bother yourself with explaining acronyms or characters, because she already knows what it means. Whether html, Latin, binary, computer specs or WoW, to your geeky girl it’s the language of love.

4. She’s not clingy. A geeky girl isn’t as clingy as the average girl. She has her own commitments, her own WoW character, her own convention buddies and her own programming to do. She’s happy to spend time with you, but she doesn’t need you to be available 24/7. Which is great, because you have your own geekery to tend to, and these things take time.

5. Won't hate you for going to a LAN conference/comic book convention and will probably come with you. That’s right, you could be that guy who brings the girl. Worshipped as a God, you’re the nerd who gets some at the conference or convention. You’re the dude with arm candy. And you didn’t even have to pay her.

6. Will gladly dress up as the Princess Zelda to your Link for Halloween (or Harley Quinn to Joker, Mrs. Lovett to Sweeney Todd, Princess Leia to your Han Solo, Cleopatra to your Caesar.) There’s nothing better than pair’s costumes. Remember how lonely it was to go solo as Solo? Remember last Halloween they laughed at your elf ears? That’s solved by bringing your very own sexy geek counterpart!

7. Willing to role play. In and out of the bedroom. Enough said.

8. Your favourite activities are now sexy activities. Imagine adding sex to all your favourite nerd pastimes! This is now possible, with your nerdy girlfriend. Multiplayer? Check. Wii Fit? Definitely check.

9. She'll settle for being serenaded with Rock Band instruments instead of real ones. Because she’s geeky, all of your geeky ideas of romance will have her swooning. What better way to say Happy Valentines than with a new website design? Or Happy Birthday with tickets to the opening night of Wolverine? Nothing says Merry Christmas like battling the forces of evil together.

10. She’s looking for you. Above all, the best thing about a geeky girl is that she’s probably looking for a geeky guy. After trying her hand at dating jocks and jerks, she’s probably looking for someone who’s actually interesting and who’s interested in her. For once, your chances increase directly with your nerdiness. You can impress her with your geekery.

13 comments:

Jo said...

I couldn't agree more with you on that one, Hezabelle!

Fae said...

That's right. Talk nerdy to me baby!

Sebastian Anthony said...

Wow, Fae's one of those Quenya speakers, eh?

I think I may finally have met my match, nîn hiril Fae...

Unknown said...

Actually, to be fair... both Fae and I attempted to learn Elvish. We have a very limited vocabulary.... but it's awesome.

Sebastian Anthony said...

Enough to speak slowly in a post-coital situation, right?

Unknown said...

Hahah I'll work on it. I really only remember what Fae and I still say to each other instead of goodbye, which is "Namaarie melamin vanima Fae." and "Amin mela lle." Which is supposed to mean "Farewell my love beautiful Fae." and "I love you." But I'm sure our interpretation is way off since it's all based on a website.

If you want Latin or Attic Greek though, I can definitely manage that.

Unknown said...

I love this post - so accurate, truthful and well written.

Jessabee said...

oh brilliant. Just as funny hearing it the second time around!

Ambles said...

Sad... I am definitely not this geeky!

But I do love this post... And I think it kind of says something that I look up to you geeks as the "cool kids" I aspire to be!

(But seriously, that is never going to happen - because iSuck at video games and iFail at all things techy!... And I promise never to do that "i" thing again.)

Lea said...

Cooool.

Eleni said...

Great list! I love my fellow geeks!

Nice to find some other casual Quenya speakers. I too have a very limited vocabulary, but it's still good enough to smell Seb's Sindarin a mile away. "Nin hiril" indeed :-P Which website did you two use? Did you find the (overly) comprehensive Quenya course on Ardalambion?

Sebastian Anthony said...

:(

I used to be the bestest most geekiest dweeb around... until I found you girls.

Unknown said...

http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm was one we used a bit.. There was a another that was more of a direct translation type site but I can't seem to find it on google...