Saturday, July 19, 2008

Running with Scissors

It's been less than a month and I've already read 6 books. And six times twelve is like.. seventy two or something (okay, clearly my skill is in reading, not mathematics.)

I had intended to read this book on the airplane tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to find another. I just started reading it on Thursday, I didn't expect it to go so fast.

Running with Scissors was... psychotic. Definitely. Is there any other way to describe it?

There are times in the book where you want to laugh, cry and shudder. It's hilarious, but also sad and disturbing. But best of all, it's honest. That's the thing I liked the best about it. Everything seemed so real, so honest. Augusten Burroughs is a very entertaining writer.

Some favs (some of them are WTF lines, others are funny, others very true):

"The sour smell of old milk cartons, egg shells and emptied ashtrays filled me with pleasure."

"It was my secret hope that the door would fly open on the highway and I would tumble from the car, rolling onto the highway where I would be crushed beneath the tires of the Barstow onion truck behind us. Then my father would be sorry he wouldn't let me have the coffee table."

"For exactly the same reason, it is sometimes satisfying to cut yourself and bleed. On those gray days where eight in the moring looks no different from noon and nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen and you are washing a glass in the sink and it breaks - accidentally - and punctures your skin. And then there is this shocking red, the brightest thing in the day, so vibrant it buzzes, this blood of yours. That is okay sometimes because at least you know you're alive."

"After was better. Before was only there so After could happen."

"..and then I fell in love with him only he turned out to not be worth loving, I think I'm angry with him about that."

"If you get to be a writer and be all those different people, then I get to be at least two things."

I really enjoyed this book. Lots to think about. And while I'm heard of some psychotic families... well... holy shit. Hahaha.

I'm going to watch the movie now!

No comments: