Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life of Pi

The reading of fifty books in one calendar year by yours truly has faltered since the beginning of school. Alas, I do not have as much time to waste (also, I am working at Pinhey's less, so that cuts my time wasting back significantly haha).

But... *drum roll* I had to read Life of Pi by Yann Martel for the Religion class I'm TAing this semester.

I loved it. Absolutely adored it. I can't believe I hadn't read it yet. Like Anil's Ghost, Life of Pi truly proves to me that Canada has some of the best authors in the world. (If only Jeanette Winterson were Canadian...)

I don't really know what to say because I could probably talk for days about each page of the book. It's so.. rich and full. Also, I'm a little tired of talking about it in class and I'm sure that after marking 100+ exam questions about it I really won't want to think about it anymore...

But, as usual, I will post some of my favourite lines. Really, I could have had so many more than this. But here goes:

"I saw my suffering for what it was, finite and insignificant, and I was still. My suffering did not fit anywhere, I realized. And I could accept this. It was all right. (It was daylight that brought my protest: 'No! No! No! My suffering does matter. I want to live! I can't help but mix my life with that of the universe. Life is a peephole, a single tiny entry onto vastness - how can I not dwell on this brief, cramped view of things? This peephole is all I've got!') I mumbled words of Muslim prayer and went back to sleep."

"It's important in life to conclude things properly. Only then can you let go. Otherwise you are left with words you should have said but never did, and your heart is heavy with remorse."

"Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer."

No comments: