Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Host

The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. I devoured the Twilight series last summer in Ireland, I was completely addicted to them, despite my original annoyance with the writing style.

I was not disappointed by the Host. I call it crack fiction. Addictive, not necessarily the best for you. But I really enjoy reading books purely for pleasure sometimes, mostly thoughtless and entertaining. It's why I read Nora Roberts (sometimes), and definitely why I read the Twilight series.

However, the Host proved to be a lot less thoughtless than I'd anticipated. This book is geared a little bit more towards an adult audience, which I definitely appreciated. I like what Meyer does. She does it well. I can definitely understand why so many people like her books. Her biggest strength is characters. You can't help but fall in love with her characters. Her books are so full of love and fear and raw emotion, that I often found myself tearing up while reading the Host.

In the Host Meyer went one step past just good characters like in the Twilight books. In this book, the plot was fairly decent, too. What can I say, I love a good dystopia/end of the world book. And to have created a whole new world.. well, that was pretty cool.

The only thing I can flaw Meyer for, really, is the fact that her characters are a little too perfect, her endings a little too happy. But I think that sometimes that's a really good thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Host from beginning to end - I read it in less than three days. It wasn't life changing, but it was certainly entertaining.

No comments: