Tuesday, August 12, 2008

love is a mix tape

I got this from Fae for my birthday. Non-fiction, it's Rob Sheffield's memoir of his life, through the mix tapes he's made or had made for him over the years.

I loved it. It was as good as Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. Better, in some ways, because it was about music but it was so personal. It definitely reminded me of Chuck Klosterman though.

I love mixes. The fact that it's about tapes, reminded me of driving around in Blanche, in high school, playing tapes I'd made. And the way they never really worked, just like Blancher herself and just like life at the time.

Mix CDs, though, for me, are essential. Fae and I make mixes for each other all the time. I have mixes that I love more than real CDs. I make mixes that tell stories. That match moods. I've made winter mixes, mixes to dance to, mixes to cry to, mixes with one song for every month, mixes all about September, mixes to fall asleep to, Christmas mixes, traveling mixes, even a "people are dying mix."

For me, the best gift is always music.

This book was a gift, it was music and life. It was beautiful. I don't normally like non-fiction but... wow.

Good choice, Fae. <3

No comments: