Thursday, February 26, 2009

Grad school, pt. II

Yesterday, I received my acceptance offer for an MA in Greek and Roman Archaeology at Newcastle University.

Newcastle University is in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. Yeah, I didn't know where that was either. Apparently, northeast. Now that I have two acceptances, and I know I'm going somewhere next year... I have to actually start thinking about it and the decisions I'll have to make.

Not only is there money, choosing a program and finding a place to figure out. But this means that I am actually, honestly, definitely moving to the UK next year. There's a lot to think about. I'm going to miss being at least in the same time zone as Fae. I'm going to miss living here, miss Wednesday nights with Kristen, Taylor and Chris. I'm going to miss my high school girlies, most who I've known longer than time. I'm going to miss my parents. I'm going to miss my grandparents. My sister. My cat. Plus, starting in a new country where you know no one is always really hard, plus I'll be doing a completely new program at the same time, and living in a whole new city. And there's the added factor that I'm essentially a very anti social person who has to force myself to interact with people.

But on the other hand, I won't have to suffer through another horrible Canadian winter. Even rain has to be better than this. Plus, a new program! A new city! I'll be in Europe, I can travel. I'll finally be able to devote myself fully to what I love. I'll get a new start.

I'm also so tired of Ottawa. There wouldn't be much here for me next year if I stayed anyway. Everyone, every thing is slowly moving on. So I might as well get a running start, right?

I'm excited, and terrified.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got accepted into another one! How exciting! You should make them compete for your love... I am thinking a scholarship bidding war maybe?
Love, T

Anonymous said...

Wooooo! Your life is so exciting! It's so good to be able to choose between more than one. I'm coming to visit regardless of what you decide on! :D

Lea said...

It is totally awesome.