Sunday, January 25, 2009

In bed

As much as I hate journalism, I have always found the academic study of media interesting. I wrote an essay in first year, for JOUR1000, about censorship in the Vietnam War, specifically the coverage of the My Lai massacre. Four years later, I am revisiting this topic for JOUR4000. My essay this year is about embedded journalism, and how exposing something like the My Lai massacre isn't possible in today's conflicts (specifically the Iraq War) because journalists are most often in bed with the military and heavily censored (whether imposed or self censored) because of it. But the reality of way wars are fought now means that it's even more dangerous than before for journalists to go without the protection of the military. But what price do you pay for the protection? Is the public interest served by embedded journalists?

Sometimes, journalism is interesting. Sadly, I have to finish this in the next 12 hours...

No comments: