Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beware the Ides of March!

The Ides of March - holiday of backstabbers!

"Confronted by a ring of drawn daggers, he drew the top of his gown over his face, and at the same time ungirded the lower part, letting it falls to his feet so that he would die with both legs decently covered. Twenty-three dagger thrusts went home as he stood there. Caesar did not utter a sound after Casca's blow had drawn a groan from him; though some say that when he saw Marcus Brutus about to deliver the second blow, he reproached him in Greek with: 'You, too, my child?'" - Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars, Julius Caesar 82.

One of the most famous stories in history. Julius Caesar, tyrant or saviour of Rome, depending on how you look at it, is struck down in the Roman Senate. Although, the real Senate House (Curia) was under construction at the time, with one of Caesar's beautification projects. So he wasn't struck down in the official Senate building. The best part of the story, though, is the famous line "Et tu, Brute?" from Shakespeare. Caesar is willing to die without complaint, but the one blow he can't take is that Brutus, who he thought of as a son, has betrayed him.

I'll act on my love like Pontius Pilate
I'll give you my love like I was Brutus
I'll radiate love like Three Mile Island
I'll prove you my love like I was Judas
-ThouShaltNot

No comments: