Saturday, March 7, 2009

Second Glance

Last weekend I finished reading Second Glance by Jodi Picoult. It had been a long time since I read a Picoult book, but I've read almost all of her book over the last four years.

There isn't much to say about the book itself. It was good, as most of her books are (except The Tenth Circle). I really enjoy reading them because while they're easy to read and dramatic, they're still very well written for "chick lit." I have a hard time classifying them as chick lit, because to me chick lit's always been like Shopaholic or Devil Wears Prada sort of books. Picoult is more of a... Chick Fic? Haha. I don't know.

When I'm right in the middle of a semester, I can't read really complicated books because I have too much homework and other shit going on, so I often end up reading Picoult or Nora Roberts or something similarly entertaining. The only problem with Jodi Picoult books is that I get very involved in them, and if I have sometihng else going on it can be difficult to stop reading.

Second Glance itself is about ghosts and ghost hunting. Until this year, I had never really thought about ghosts and whether or not I believed in them. When I started working at Pinhey's, I had people asking me all the time about ghost stories from the house. I even have a couple of my own stories, though they're better as stories than as proof. When I worked at Billings in October, we did ghost hunting. All of this, and books like Second Glance, have made me start thinking about whether I believe in ghosts or not. But I'm still completely undecided and I find that I can believe in them, in the right situation, but that they don't necessarily scare me. I think the reason I can't decide is because I have no definite opinion of what happens when you die - Heaven, reincarnation, whatever. And I think I'd need to decide what I think about that before I can decide whether some people stick around or not.

The book wasn't really quoteworthy but it was definitely a good read!

No comments: